First time visitors to the Ten Acres ground at Taplow Cricket Club often ask about the magnificent house overlooking the ground. The house is called Wickenden, and the Hitcham and Taplow Society provide some details about it here.
The house on the site has been the home of four Presidents of Taplow Cricket Club. Raymond Lock bought the Victorian cottage (see below), which he demolished to build a modern bungalow, which he later sold to John and Iris Midlane, who built the current house. Both John and Iris were Presidents of the club, a position now held by their son Will Midlane who lives in the house with his young family.
Dave Wigmore recently found a photo from 1958, showing Taplow Football Club, winners of Division 1 of the Maidenhead & District League in 1958 – in the background is the previous house that stood on the site and which was later demolished to make way for a modern bungalow and then the current house.
The view of the ground from the house is superb – a beautiful outlook, particularly on a sunny summer day.
Taplow used to have its own vineyard, which was on the grounds of the house. Again the Hitcham and Taplow Society has details here.